Friday, January 28, 2011

"Blackcapped Chickadees" oil 9"x12" $390


I am skiing through some of the best birding country in Colorado at The Nature Conservancy's Carpenter Ranch. As I floated through the fluffy powder on skinny skis, these chickadees were flying and floating in the snow covered aspens.
My bird landscapes reflect the temperature and textures that I see in the fleeting moment that this four inch long bulk of feathers skims through my view. Binoculars and bird books are for the avid birders which like more details than one can see with the naked eye. I, however, like to paint the moment that I spotted these snow white and black hatted bumps on the branches. If they didn't like to fly so much and chatter so much, I could ski right by them and not notice their energy. The energy I take home and paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment